Published: Jan 01, 2013 07:00 PM
Modified: Dec 28, 2012 03:49 PM
King events set
The Durham Community MLK Steering Committee will hold its 2013 King Holiday Celebration Events Saturday, Jan. 12, through Monday, Jan. 21, in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The events are as follows:
• Youth Rap Forum: Saturday, Jan. 12, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Hayti Heritage Center, 804 Old Fayetteville St.
• Youth Awareness Service with motivational speaker Derwin Dubose, a public affairs strategist, Sunday, Jan. 13, at 4 p.m. at Hayti Heritage Center, 804 Old Fayetteville St.
• Day of Service Event: Saturday, Jan. 19, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at New Horizons Academy, 916 Lamond Ave.
• 33rd Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Triangle Interfaith Prayer Breakfast: Monday, Jan. 21, 7 a.m. to Sheraton Imperial Hotel & Convention Center, 4700 Emperor Boulevard, Research Triangle Park
• Unity March and Rally: Monday, Jan. 21, 10:30 a.m. beginning at the N.C. Mutual Life Insurance Co., 411 W. Chapel Hill St. and concluding at First Presbyterian Church, 305 E. Main St
• Annual Religious Service with keynote speaker John Mendez, D.Min, D.D., pastor of Emmanuel Baptist Church, Winston-Salem: Monday, Jan. 21, 6 p.m. at St. Mark A.M.E. Zion Church, 531 S. Roxboro St.
All events are free and open to the public.
The MLK Steering Committee is a community-based organization committed to preserving the legacy and example of Dr. King by planning appropriate ceremonies and programs in recognition of the King Holiday.
For information or to obtain a flier of the events, visit, durhammlkcommittee.orgDeWarren K. Langley MLK Steering Committee
All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.