Pedestrian dies after Monday accident
Police say a pedestrian died Wednesday after being injured in a collision with a car Monday evening in the area of North LaSalle Street and Campus Walk Drive.
Osahon Osifo, 23, of Durham was crossing the street at about 11:20 p.m. when he was struck by a northbound Honda Accord driven by Yu Chen, 27, of Durham.
There was no indication that the driver was speeding or under the influence of alcohol when the accident occurred, according to investigators.
No charges have been filed and the accident remains under investigation.
Man charged in cash-register thefts
Durham police investigators charged Samuel Brown on Thursday with taking money from several stores last week.
He was also charged with breaking into a business during that time.
Brown, 34, of Durham was arrested on North Hyde Park Ave. He is charged with one count of common-law robbery, three counts of larceny from person, one count of attempted larceny from person, breaking and entering, larceny after breaking and entering and injury to property.
According to investigators, Brown has entered several businesses and asked to purchase either gum or a cigar. When the cashier opened the register, he grabbed money from the register and then fled in a vehicle parked at the side of the store.
Brown is charged in the following cases:
• Nov. 17 – theft of cash from Cruizers, 1914 Sedwick Road (Brown is charged with common-law robbery in this case)
• Nov. 17 – theft of cash from BP convenience store, 4525 Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd.
• Nov. 18 – breaking into the Gas House, 1102 E. N.C. 54 and taking cigarettes
• Nov. 18 – theft of cash from Dollar Tree, 4215 University Drive
• Nov. 18 – attempted theft of cash from Family Fare, 4161 Old Chapel Hill Road
• Nov. 19 – theft of cash from Kangaroo Express, 4830 Hope Valley Road