Durham police chief says he must remain mum on teen’s death

tmcdonald@newsobserver.comNovember 22, 2013 

LOPEZ2NE090613

Durham Police Chief Jose Lopez

CHUCK LIDDY — cliddy@newsobserver.com Buy Photo

— Police Chief Jose Lopez says he will explain fully how a teenager died in the back seat of a patrol car earlier this week but only after the State Bureau of Investigation has finished investigating the case.

Lopez broke three days of silence on the death of Jesus Huerta with a statement Friday morning asking for the public’s patience. Huerta’s death of an apparent gunshot wound early Tuesday morning was the third involving a Durham police officer this year.

“As the Durham Police Chief, I fully understand my responsibility to be transparent on controversial issues and cases, particularly in light of recent officer involved shootings,” Lopez said. “Not only have three lives been lost in the last few months, the credibility of the Police Department is at stake, which is something we take very seriously.”

The chief’s comments come a day after Durham City Councilman Don Moffit expressed frustration with the lack of information about recent deaths of residents in encounters with police.

“Until the investigations are complete we are all on hold. ... as a leader of this city, I am frustrated,” said Moffitt, an appointed council member recently elected to his first full term. “ Durham needs information and transparency … It’s time to move forward.”

A march is also planned for 7 p.m. Friday in response to the death of Huerta, 17. Organizers plan to gather on CCB Plaza downtown and walk to police headquarters on West Chapel Hill Street.

In his statement, Lopez said his department asked the SBI to handle the cases “to ensure independent and impartial investigations.” He said he understands the public’s concerns about the lack of information.

“We realize that during the investigation process, transparency is indeed essential to maintaining your trust,” he said. “However, I also am obligated not to compromise the investigation by speaking prematurely before the investigation is complete. That would be a disservice to the SBI, the District Attorney’s Office and, most importantly the victims, the families, and to you, the community.”

Huerta, a 10th-grader at Riverside High School, was being charged with second-degree trespassing just before 3 a.m. Tuesday. He was in the back seat of a patrol car driven by Officer Samuel A.M. Duncan in the parking lot at police headquarters when he died, Lopez said Tuesday.

Duncan heard a loud noise from the back seat and jumped from the car, Lopez said. An out-of-breath police officer radioed emergency dispatchers to report that shots had been fired in the parking lot and asked for medical assistance for a gunshot wound, “approximately 18-year-old male, not breathing,” according to the recording released by the Police Department.

Lopez said during a news conference Tuesday morning that police didn’t know how Huerta died but said it did not appear that Duncan or any other Durham police officer fired a weapon. Lopez declined to answer any questions because the case had been turned over to the SBI.

The SBI is investigating two other deaths involving Durham police officers.

• On July 27, Jose Adan Cruz Ocampo, 33, was fatally shot by officer R.S. Mbuthia after Mbuthia and other officers told him to drop a kitchen knife he held. Witnesses later said Ocampo was holding the knife out, handle first, to an officer when he was shot four times.

Ocampo was a suspect in a stabbing earlier that day. The stabbing was not fatal.

• On Sept. 17, Derek Deandre Walker, 26, was fatally shot by Cpl. R.C. Swartz when Walker pointed a gun at officers after an hour-long standoff at CCB Plaza in downtown. During the standoff, hostage negotiators had talked to Walker, who was distraught over losing a custody battle over his young son.

Lopez said he will discuss all three cases when the SBI completes its investigations, but he said that can take months.

“Like you, I eagerly await the full review of these investigations,” he said. “As we wait, please know that thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims, as well as the officers involved and their families. I appreciate your patience, and can assure you that once these investigations are completed, I will make a full disclosure to the public about each case.”

Staff writer Jim Wise contributed to this report.

 

McDonald: 919-829-4533

Durham News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service