Carolina Theatre board extends Nocek’s contract

July 17, 2014 

— The Board of Trustees of the Carolina Theatre of Durham, Inc. has extended the contract of President/CEO Bob Nocek for five years. His contract now runs through June 30, 2019.

“It reflects an absolute mutual feeling that Bob is the right person, doing the right thing at the right time, “ Scott Harmon, chairman of the theatre’s Board of Trustees, said in a news release. “He really loves the Carolina Theatre, and we love having him here.”

Nocek, 46, joined the Carolina Theatre staff as vice-president/chief operating officer in 2009. He assumed control of the organization, which operates the city-owned complex, the following year.

In 2013, the theatre reported its first profitable year since 2008.

“My time at the Carolina Theatre has been among the most satisfying and exciting of my career, and I can’t imagine anywhere else I’d want to be for the next five years,” Nocek said. “We’re just getting started, and I’m grateful to the board for its confidence in the work we’ve done so far.”

Fueled by expanded programming, the Carolina Theatre’s total revenue improved from $2.5 million to over $3.7 million from 2010 to 2013, with marked increases in ticket sales for both live events and film. Revenue for the current fiscal year has been forecast to exceed $4 million.

Under Nocek’s direction, the Carolina’s broader programming has included more than 60 Star Series concert or comedy performances, and growth in film to include weekday matinee screenings and the expansion of the North Carolina Gay & Lesbian Film Festival to 10 days. The theatre’s rental activity has also increased. Fletcher Hall, the 88-year-old historic theatre and centerpiece of the city-owned complex, is now used more than 300 days per year.

The Durham Convention & Visitors Bureau recently determined the theatre made a $14 million economic impact to Durham during the 2012-13 fiscal year. That’s nearly double the facility’s impact prior to Nocek’s arrival.

The board’s decision to extend Nocek’s contract came two months after Durham approved a new 10-year management agreement with Carolina Theatre of Durham, Inc. to continue operating the City-owned complex through at least 2024.

Durham News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service